[XeTeX] Fontspec: Switching off a feature

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Mon Mar 1 00:48:28 CET 2010

On 01/03/2010, at 8:51 AM, Florian Grammel wrote:

> I'd need to switch off one specific fontspec-feature in some
> specific places, without touching the other ones and also leaving
> italicisation etc intact.
> Having pairs like Historical and NoHistorical, I thought this would
> be straightforward:
>

> \documentclass[12pt]{article}
>
> \usepackage{fontspec}
> \setromanfont{Junicode}
>

> \begin{document}
>
> oo
> \addfontfeature{Ligatures=Historical}
> oo
> {\addfontfeature{Ligatures=NoHistorical} oo}
> oo
>
> \end{document}
>
> Could anybody give me a hint what I'm doing wrong?

Avoid putting implementation commands within the body
of your document. These belong in the preamble, where
you define macros to make use of different features.

e.g.

>>> \documentclass[12pt]{article}
>>>
>>> \usepackage{fontspec}
>>> \setromanfont{Junicode}
>>>
>>> \newfontfamily{\nohist}[Ligatures=NoHistorical]{Junicode}
>>> \newfontfamily{\hist}[Ligatures=Historical]{Junicode}% this is
>>> the default ???
>>>
>>> \DeclareRobustCommand{\texthist}[1]{{\hist#1}}
>>> \DeclareRobustCommand{\textnohist}[1]{{\nohist#1}}
>>>
>>> \begin{document}
>>>

>>> oo {\hist oo} oo
>>> oo \texthist{oo} oo
>>>
>>> \hist  % best not to do this kind of global change
>>> oo {\nohist oo} oo
>>> oo \textnohist{oo} oo
>>>
>>> \end{document}

Note that the \texthist  and  \textnohist  versions are generally
preferable, since they are robust for writing content into .toc
  or .lof  of  .lot  files, for section-headings and captions.

> The feature, that I actually need to use, is Style=Historic, which
> doesn't seem to have "NoHistoric" counterpart at all... But I
> guess, I could always add
>
> \zf at define@feature at option{Style}{NoHistoric}      {}  {} {-hist}
>
> to fontspec.sty, couldn't I?

There shouldn't be a need for this.
Unless it is added to the general distribution, then it may
get lost when next you update.

> Thanks in advance!
> Florian.

> Florian Grammel