[XeTeX] Problem: Beamer+xelatex+\XeTeXdefaultencoding

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Tue Jun 22 00:54:26 CEST 2010

Hi Herb,

On 22/06/2010, at 7:57 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Jun 21, 2010, at 4:42 PM, Ross Moore wrote:
>

>>> and only shows up with Windows (LF-CR) line endings.
>>
>> Interesting, as I'm working on a Mac, and do see it.
>> So this might mean it is related to the line-endings
>> within package-files ...
>>

> Howdy,
>
> If you simply copied the lines from the e-mail, like I did, you do see the problem.
> If you then clean up the EOLs the problem goes away.

Interesting. Because the actual content is placed on the page
during  hyperref's  \ReadBookmarks  command, where it reads in
the \jobname.out  file --- which seems to be completely empty.

  -rw-r--r--  1 rossmoor  staff    0 22 Jun 08:36 beam-test.out

viz.

{\jobname}
{\input}

\@filef at und ->beam-test.out
(./beam-test.out
{the character @}
{horizontal mode: the character @}
{blank space  }
)

When reading the input stream, a single line-end character might
be generated at the start ?
But that still leaves open the question of how it picks up
the character string '@safe at act' .
Maybe it all happens internally and there is a buffer overrun?

This happens twice within  \ReadBookmarks .

> I had to add something (Hello World!) to get any pages generated.

Yes; I found this was necessary too.

> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

I think that it is up to Jonathan and Heiko to figure out
why their coding creates this kind of undesirable interaction.

Cheers,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                       ross.moore at mq.edu.au