[XeTeX] XITS Math font - first beata

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 21:11:51 CEST 2010

On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Will Robertson <wspr81 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2010-06-07 01:41:41 +0930, "George N. White III" <gnwiii at gmail.com> said:
>
>> I replaced the accent macros with unicode glyphs, e.g. Möbius,  Poincar
>> é, etc.
>> One AMS text symbol (\S --> §) generated and undefined.
>
> Have you loaded xunicode?

No (I prefer to use unicode input for regular text)

>> cmsy is still being used somehow, somewhere:
>
> Needs to be fixed. But I wouldn't be surprised for a few edge cases still.
>
>> 1) existing documents may need editing to replace macros with unicode
>> glyphs
>
> All math symbols should still be defined as macros, although I might have
> missed a few. The idea is to make it easy to use the new fonts, hopefully,
> without (m)any changes to the source document.

I'm happy to make many changes provided they are a) easily automated,
b) reversible, and  c) make the document more readable.

Accents in legacy tex are a problem (at least in Canada!) because some (laptop)
screens don't adequately differentiate between forward and back ticks.

The problem § was a macro that defined a text glyph -- no doubt there are
more to be discovered in widely used packages -- not only math.

>> 2) recommended xetex, etc. versions, e.g,
>>
>>  XeTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.2-0.9997.1 (TeX Live 2010)
>
> TeXLive 2010 for unicode-math and fontspec v2 and LuaLaTeX (if you want it)
> is a good metric. The actual version of XeTeX isn't too important as it's
> had maths support for years. (Sorry it's taken me so long.)

xetex has had some rough edges (for x86_64, Debian TL2009:

   XeTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.2-0.9995.2 (TeX Live 2009/Debian)
    using fontspec and uniccode math from the local texmf tree

 works; while CTAN TL2010 dumps core.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia