[XeTeX] XITS Math font - first beata

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Sun Jun 6 18:25:38 CEST 2010

On Sun, Jun 06, 2010 at 01:11:41PM -0300, George N. White III wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 1:56 AM, Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny at eglug.org> wrote:
>
> > You can now grap the four styles from git tree:
> > http://github.com/khaledhosny/xits-math
> >
> > No proper release yet, but if no serious bugs appeared in the next 24
> > hours, I'll make one.
> >
> > For text use "XITS", and "XITS Math" for math.
>
> Thanks for producing the other .otf files.  ATM I'm using linux, which
> is "case-sensitive" and expects XITS-XXX.otf files (e.g., capitalized
> xits).

I'm not sure what you mean here, if you are loading fonts by file name,
then type it all lower case, if you are loading it by font name then the
actual name of the file doesn't matter.

>        I suggest using captitalized names for the release.  As previously
> reported, the x86_64-linux version of xetex dumps core, so I'm using
> the i386-linux binaries from TL2010 pretest.
>
> I tried formatting the AMS-LaTeX sample file (testmath.tex -->
> testmath-XITS.tex)
>
> \usepackage{unicode-math}
>
> \setmainfont[
>   Extension=.otf,
>   UprightFont=*-regular,
>   ItalicFont=*-italic,
>   BoldFont=*-bold,
>   BoldItalicFont=*-bolditalic,
>   Numbers=OldStyle,
>   Mapping=tex-text
>  ]{XITS}

Just:
\setmainfont[Numbers=OldStyle,Mapping=tex-text]{XITS}

Or better (for fontspec2):
\setmainfont[Numbers=OldStyle,Ligatures=TeX]{XITS}

> % math font
> \setmathfont{XITS Math}
>
> I replaced the accent macros with unicode glyphs, e.g. Möbius,  Poincaré, etc.
> One AMS text symbol (\S --> §) generated and undefined.

I've a copy of that file that I used for testing while ago, there are
still some withstanding issues, mainly XeTeX limitations (like
extensible arrows), I'm waiting for proper LuaTeX support in
unicode-math (that is why I did all my testing on ConTeXt).

> cmsy is still being used somehow, somewhere:
>
> $ pdffonts testmath-XITS.pdf
> name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
> ------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
> OYKLDN+XITS-Identity-H               CID Type 0C       yes yes yes      5  0
> XOKMER+LMMono12-Regular-Identity-H   CID Type 0C       yes yes yes      7  0
> HIHYEO+XITS-Bold-Identity-H          CID Type 0C       yes yes yes      9  0
> CDRMSV+CMSY10                        Type 1C           yes yes no      10  0
> DQLWEP+XITSMath-Identity-H           CID Type 0C       yes yes yes     12  0
> NATEFX+LMMono10-Regular-Identity-H   CID Type 0C       yes yes yes     14  0
> BTXNGD+XITS-Italic-Identity-H        CID Type 0C       yes yes yes     20  0

If you have FontForge, you can open the pdf file in it and see what
CMSY10 glyphs are used, and report it to Will.

> With TL2010 prerelease XITS seems to be at a stage where extensive testing
> will be useful.  I would suggest providing some guidance for new users in the
> documentation and with example files in order to help people get off to a good
> start:
>
> 1) existing documents may need editing to replace macros with unicode glyphs

or use xunicode etc.

> 2) recommended xetex, etc. versions, e.g,
>
>  XeTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.2-0.9997.1 (TeX Live 2010)

A user guide is must for the non-bata release for sure, any one is
welcomed to contribute one, too.

Regards,
 Khaled

--