[XeTeX] XITS Math font - first beata

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 18:11:41 CEST 2010

On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 1:56 AM, Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny at eglug.org> wrote:

> You can now grap the four styles from git tree:
> http://github.com/khaledhosny/xits-math
>
> No proper release yet, but if no serious bugs appeared in the next 24
> hours, I'll make one.
>
> For text use "XITS", and "XITS Math" for math.

Thanks for producing the other .otf files.  ATM I'm using linux, which
is "case-sensitive" and expects XITS-XXX.otf files (e.g., capitalized
xits).  I suggest using captitalized names for the release.  As previously
reported, the x86_64-linux version of xetex dumps core, so I'm using
the i386-linux binaries from TL2010 pretest.

I tried formatting the AMS-LaTeX sample file (testmath.tex -->
testmath-XITS.tex)

\usepackage{unicode-math}

\setmainfont[
  Extension=.otf,
  UprightFont=*-regular,
  ItalicFont=*-italic,
  BoldFont=*-bold,
  BoldItalicFont=*-bolditalic,
  Numbers=OldStyle,
  Mapping=tex-text
 ]{XITS}

% math font
\setmathfont{XITS Math}

I replaced the accent macros with unicode glyphs, e.g. Möbius,  Poincaré, etc.
One AMS text symbol (\S --> §) generated and undefined.

cmsy is still being used somehow, somewhere:

$ pdffonts testmath-XITS.pdf
name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
OYKLDN+XITS-Identity-H               CID Type 0C       yes yes yes      5  0
XOKMER+LMMono12-Regular-Identity-H   CID Type 0C       yes yes yes      7  0
HIHYEO+XITS-Bold-Identity-H          CID Type 0C       yes yes yes      9  0
CDRMSV+CMSY10                        Type 1C           yes yes no      10  0
DQLWEP+XITSMath-Identity-H           CID Type 0C       yes yes yes     12  0
NATEFX+LMMono10-Regular-Identity-H   CID Type 0C       yes yes yes     14  0
BTXNGD+XITS-Italic-Identity-H        CID Type 0C       yes yes yes     20  0

With TL2010 prerelease XITS seems to be at a stage where extensive testing
will be useful.  I would suggest providing some guidance for new users in the
documentation and with example files in order to help people get off to a good
start:

1) existing documents may need editing to replace macros with unicode glyphs

2) recommended xetex, etc. versions, e.g,

 XeTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.2-0.9997.1 (TeX Live 2010)

Thanks for the good work!

> Regards,
>  Khaled
>
> --
>  Khaled Hosny
>  Arabic localiser and member of Arabeyes.org team
>  Free font developer

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia