[XeTeX] XITS Math font - first beata

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 20:29:31 CEST 2010

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 1:21 PM, Will Robertson <wspr81 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2010-06-06 01:28:46 +0930, Eelis van der Weegen <eelis at eelis.net> said:
>
>> On 2010-06-04 20:31, Khaled Hosny wrote:
>>>
>>> As promised, the OpenType MATH enriched version of STIX fonts, XITS,
>>> is now available.
>>
>> XITS looks very neat!
>>
>> Are the STIX people planning to release /official/ OpenType MATH
>> enriched versions at some point as well (perhaps as part of STIX version
>> 1.1 or 1.2)?
>
> v1.1 will have OpenType MATH support.
> v1.2 will denote (La)TeX support.
>
>>  If so, to what extent would this make XITS obsolete?
>
> Depends how good a job they do :)

Goodness is in the eye of the beholder.  I expect some
scientific publishers will expect STIX to be used in MS
submissions.  Large organizations may require Cambria
or STIX for documents (PDF?) that will be archived for
future generations.  Commercial tools may be tweaked to
compensate for bugs in STIX, so workflows using STIX
will be trusted.

<http://www.ams.org/STIX/glyphs/proposal/newsub/utc/utcmemo-s-jun99.pdf>
"The ultimate product of the STIX group will be the creation
of one comprehensive set of fonts for scientic and technical
publishing. This set of fonts should be adopted and supported
by all major STM publishers, and will also be made available
for general use under license but free of charge, with the explicit
aim to ease and foster the uninhibited flow, exchange, and linking
of scientic information."

The real benefit of XITS is to help TeX users start working
with STIX now, so some issues can be found by the people
who care about the appearance of maths documents and
addressed before they turn into features.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia