[XeTeX] XeTeX and luaTeX

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 12:11:49 CEST 2010

On 2010-06-05 18:42:06 +0930, Pablo Rodríguez
<oinos at web.de> said:

> Which will be those differences between podTeX and LuaTeX?

I can't remember where it's talked about, but I think the relevant
details are that there are minor incompatibilities in kerning and
hyphenation and justification when typesetting paragraphs. Basically,
on any arbitrarily large pdfTeX document, you can't guarantee you'll
get the same output when typeset with LuaTeX. (As a change in
hyphenation can change a single line break, which can change a page
break, which can change a chapter break...)

Of course, there's also some differences in extended funtionality, such
as the pdfTeX primitives that are only available with Lua in LuaTeX,
but Heiko Oberdiek's pdftexcmds provides a unified interface to this
(and to the relevant XeTeX primitives as well).

Certainly nothing to worry about (especially because hyphenation
patterns aren't as constant in the TeX world as TeX itelf), but
necessary to be aware of.

Cheers,
Will