[XeTeX] XeTeX and luaTeX

Kirk Lowery empirical.humanist at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 14:26:59 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 7:42 AM, Arthur Reutenauer
<arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org> wrote:

>  This shouldn't of course discourage you from experimenting with
> LuaTeX, especially now that it's easier to combine its advanced features
> with LaTeX thanks to the lualatex-dev team :-)  But it's simply a
> different program, in my opinion.

Is there any kind of feature comparison between XeTeX and luaTeX? I'm
a believer in "right tool for the job." My primary needs are, besides
general (La)TeX functionality, Unicode processing of combining
characters and handling of OpenType fonts. The output should be
standard PDF. For me personally, I haven't had the need to seek any
special features. So I assume either engine would work for me.

I guess I need to learn a bit more about luaTeX so I'll know when or
if I need to use it instead of XeTeX. BTW, I'm not at all dissatisfied
with XeTeX! I'm just interested in keeping up with changes and
developments...

Thanks again for the very useful brief on luaTeX.

Kirk