[XeTeX] pstricks and dvi output in xelatex

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Jul 31 16:35:01 CEST 2010

On Jul 30, 2010, at 5:02 PM, Alan Munn wrote:

> On Jul 30, 2010, at 5:28 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>

>> Am 30.07.2010 um 22:55 schrieb Alan Munn:
>>
>>> The only difference I see is that the orientation of the pages is different. (Not sure what causes that).
>>

>> Are you using Skim? It somehow prefers to start in landscape...
>
> No, this isn't a viewer problem, I don't think.  Both files were produced with  TeXShop, and display differently within it, and within Preview.  The files I attached are just what running latex-dvips-ps2pdf and xelatex respectively on the sample document that George posted.
>
> Alan

Howdy,

This doesn't solve your problem but it does solve the rotation problem. Instead of using the latex engine (i.e., the built-in engine that uses simpdftex) use the latexmk engine and edit the ~/Library/TeXShop/bin/tslatexmk/latexmkrc file. When you open that file you'll see two lines

$ps2pdf = 'ps2pdf %O %S %D';
#$ps2pdf = 'ps2pdf -dAutoRotatePages=\/None %O %S %D';

and comment out the first of the two (i.e., place a # at the front of the line) and un-comment the second (i.e., remove...) and save it. Then the autorotate flag for ps2pdf will be turned off. Why autorotate is on by default is beyond me. Unfortunately, the next time there is an update of the latexmk for TeXshop package (or update of TeXshop) you'll have to re-do that change since the latexmkrc file will be overwritten with the (possibly) updated version.

I also edited the pstricks package so that the autorotate is off by default and there is an option to turn it on (among other, more important, changes). You can get that as NewPdftricks.zip at <http://homepage.mac.com/herbs2>.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)