[XeTeX] xunicode and TIPA

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Thu Jul 29 04:53:13 CEST 2010

Hi Alan,

On 29/07/2010, at 8:34 AM, Alan Munn wrote:

> Thanks, Ross.  What I'm mainly looking for is a fairly simple way of using legacy TIPA code, and I don't know whether this would cause any problems or not.  I also don't quite know how much xunicode itself emulates TIPA and how much it doesn't.  Right now there are various things that don't work, but I don't know enough about how xunicode works (and probably the relevant fonts themselves) to make a new package that would make the emulation more complete.
>
> For example, (and not surprisingly) the following commands are defined in TIPA, but don't work with xunicode:

> \;<char> produces a small caps version for {EJAHLUBGNR}
> \:<char> produces a retroflex version for {dlnrRstz}

The problem is that these macros are already defined in TeX,
at least in math-mode.

Look at the results of the following to confirm this.
    \show\*  \show\:  \show\;

I need explicit examples of how TIPA uses these, to try to
design the best way to support them in Xunicode.

If we can guarantee that they will only be used
within {ipa} {IPA} environments, or \textipa{...}
then support can be added within Xunicode.
If you want them outside such environments, then you'll need
to do it with an extra package (that can require Xunicode).

> etc.

How many others are there in this 'etc.' ?

> These commands are defined in the following way in tipa.sty
>
> \DeclareTextCommand{\:}{T3}[1]{#1}
> \DeclareTextAccentDefault{\:}{T3}
> \DeclareTextComposite{\:}{T3}{d}{227}

Clearly these are specific to T3 encoding, which is now not
relevant. So I really need to see example usages, to work
out what is needed, and to supply examples for testing.

> etc.
>
> If I were to do the same thing using xunicode how would I do it?
>
> Also (and more suprisingly) \c{c} doesn't seem to work, but gives
>
> Undefined control sequence \realLaTeXcedilla

Hmm. Not sure why this happens.
Can you send a LaTeX preamble, and simple example.

> Anyway, I'd be happy to do some of the work, but I'm somewhat in the dark as to how to start.

It's not as easy as you might think it ought to be.
This is because you want the definitions to be compatible
with other usages of the macro-name, and have flexibility
for different possible encodings.

> Thanks
>
> Alan
>

> --