[XeTeX] xunicode and TIPA

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Wed Jul 28 20:03:53 CEST 2010

Am Wed, 28 Jul 2010 11:25:30 -0400 schrieb Alan Munn:

> Hi
>
> The xunicode package provides a textipa command which recognizes (most
> of?) the commands from the tipa package.  This is very useful, since
> it allows one to convert legacy documents containing IPA to xelatex
> with minimal trouble.  However, the tipa package also provided an IPA
> environment.  This is not supplied by xunicode.  Is there a way to
> emulate that too?  Here's a minimal document:
>
> I know the definition for the IPA environment isn't correct; what I
> want is characters inside that environment to be interpreted in the
> same way that they are within the \textipa command provided by xunicode.

You must use a name with small letters for your environment (tipa
activates the others)

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{xltxtra}
\newfontfamily{\ipafont}{Doulos SIL}
\def\useTIPAfont{\ipafont}
\newenvironment{ipa}{%
  \let\stone\TIPAstonebar
  \let\tone\TIPAtonebar
  \setTIPAcatcodes\activatetipa
  \csname useTIPAfont\endcsname
  }{}
\begin{document}
\textipa{RPAQIOE} % This will give you correct phonetic characters
\begin{ipa}
RPAQIOE
\end{ipa}

\end{document}