[XeTeX] custom footnote rules w/ ednotes, polyglossia & bidi

Alan Munn amunn at gmx.com
Sun Jul 25 19:43:39 CEST 2010

Hi Wafa and Talal,

Wafa, I'm afraid you've misunderstood Talal's requirements.  His
problem is not simply to get a RTL footnote marker; he needs one in
the context of multiple footnote apparatus as supplied by the ednotes/
manyfoot package.  This is a requirement for the kind of critical
edition that he is writing.

Talal, I've attached a sample file that I think does most of what you
want. Please note that I don't work with critical editions and the
ednotes package is about the worst documented package I've ever seen,
so I don't really understand much of what the expected output is
supposed to be.

Some comments about what I did:

It seems that you want the first set of footnotes to be Arabic with a
RTL rule; to do this, I had to reset the default footnote marker to a
right footnote marker, since there doesn't seem to be a way to change
the marker using ednotes (even though it could easily be changed using
manyfoot).  I then created a lftrule for use with the second series of
footnotes, and redefined the extrarule to be empty for the third set.

With respect to using the RTL marker for just one chapter, I couldn't
figure out a way to redefine the A series footnotes within the
document.  Perhaps the easiest way around this is to create a fourth
footnote series and use that in subsequent chapters as your first
set.  Again, ednotes isn't very well documented, so I don't know how
this would work in practice.

Hopefully though, the attached code will give you something to work on.

Alan