[XeTeX] custom footnote rules w/ ednotes, polyglossia & bidi

talazem at fastmail.fm talazem at fastmail.fm
Sat Jul 24 02:53:57 CEST 2010

Dear all,

I am using Ednotes & Polyglossia (and thus Bidi) to produce a critical edition of an
Arabic text, in Memoir. Ednotes seems to call up the manyfoot package
automatically. I am having two problems:

1. I have three levels of footnotes. I want each footnote stream (A,
B, C) to have a different footnote rule (separator): for level A I
want the separator to go from right to left (i.e. it begins at the
right margin, since it is an Arabic text); for level B I want a normal
footnote rule at the left margin; and for level C I want no footnote
rule at all.

I know I am supposed to place my custom footnote rule informtion
before "\declarenewfootnote" (per the documentation of the manyfoot
package), but I am unsure of what to include in the formula for
\selectfootnoterule (i.e. what to place, and where) in order to
achieve this.

2. As for level A's right to left separator, I only want this to occur
(i.e. for it to run from right to left) in this chapter of my
document. How can one define a footnote separator to be changed only
in one chapter or section, and not universally in the whole document?

Many thanks for your help in advance. I have included a sample
document below.

Kind regards,
Talal

---

%
% Ulysses LaTeX Export, for Theses, Using Ociamthesis & Unicode
%

\TeXXeTstate=1

\documentclass[11pt,oneside,a4paper,openright]{memoir}
\usepackage{fontspec}

%%% EDNOTES %%%
\usepackage[modulo,right,perpage,para*]{ednotes}

%%% POLYGLOSSIA %%% (includes bidi.sty)
\usepackage{polyglossia}
\setmainlanguage{english}
\setotherlanguage{arabic}

%%% Ednotes commands %%%
\modulolinenumbers[1]
\PrecedeLevelWith{A}{\setRL}

%% The uncommented lines below are changed for typesetting the
apparatus in Arabic.
\renewcommand*{\linesfmt}[1]{\raisebox{1ex}{\linenumberfont #1}~}%
\renewcommand{\lemmafmt}[1]{#1~[ }%

%%Level B of footnotes. This customization is independant of ednotes,
and relates to manyfoot directly:
\SetFootnoteHook{\unsetRL}%--> must appear immediately before
\DeclareNewFootnote
\selectfootnoterule[1]{brick}{\rule{0mm}{0mm}{\vspace*{5mm}}}
\DeclareNewFootnote[para]{B}
\newcommand{\NOTEB}[1]{\footnoteB{#1}}

%% Level C of footnotes. This customization is independant of ednotes,
and relates to manyfoot directly:
\SetFootnoteHook{\unsetRL}%--> must appear immediately before
\DeclareNewFootnote
\DeclareNewFootnote[para]{C}[roman]
\newcommand{\NOTEC}[1]{\footnoteC{#1}}

%%% Fonts %%%
\setromanfont[%
Mapping=tex-text,%
%Numbers=OldStyle,%
%Ligatures=Common%
]%
{Charis SIL}

%               DOCUMENT                %

\begin{document}
\begin{linenumbers}
\Anote{This is some text}{These are some words} which \Anote{is}{are}
meant to fill up the page \Anote{sufficiently}{enough} to give an
example of what \Anote{we'd like to do}{we need to happen}. This is
some\NOTEB{Here's another stream}. more\NOTEB{And another one} text.
\NOTEC{This marks the beginning of the main text of MSS RH.} I guess
that's enough now.\NOTEC{Some more notes.}
\end{linenumbers}
\end{document}