[XeTeX] Japanese, Chinese, Korean support for Polyglossia

François Charette firmicus at ankabut.net
Fri Jul 23 23:06:03 CEST 2010

  On 23/07/2010 17:15, Gerrit wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I will try to gather some information about Japanese, Chinese and Korean support for
> Polyglossia in the next days.
>
> Because I do not understand tex programming at all, I can only give some information
> here. I will try to write it as detailled as possible, so that the implementation should
> not be that hard :)

Thanks Gerrit, I will keep good note of your useful information (and the remaining
discussion).

I have never intended to include CJK in polyglossia actually, for various reasons, the
main one being my total ignorance of those languages. But if anyone is willing to write
modules for Chinese, Japanese or Korean, he/she is welcome to either send it to me for
inclusion in the polyglossia distribution, or, perhaps better, to directly upload it to
CTAN for separate maintainance.

Note that someone has actually already written two different modules for Japanese: see
http://user.math.kyushu-u.ac.jp/?iwase/itoniki0 (gloss-japanese.ldf and gloss-nihongo.ldf)
<http://jupiter.math.kyushu-u.ac.jp/%7Enorio/XeTeX/work/gloss-japanese.ldf>I actually
wanted to contact the author (Norio Iwase) to discuss the possibility of integrating this
in the polyglossia distribution, but somehow forgot about it... Now I have just contacted
him. Another XeLaTeX user, Wilfred van Rooijen, was interested in improving it and
maintaining it on CTAN. So we'll see what happens.

You can also have a look at http://kuniyoshi.fastmail.fm/xetex/ for a discussion relating
to Japanese and an alternative package "genzi.sty".

Note also that TeXLive 2010, which will come out very soon, will include pTeX, a TeX
engine extended and tailored specifically for typesetting Japanese.

FC