[XeTeX] Japanese, Chinese, Korean support for Polyglossia

Gerrit z0idberg at gmx.de
Fri Jul 23 21:51:38 CEST 2010

Am 24.07.2010 02:22, schrieb Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd):

> Gerrit wrote:
>> Hello Philip,
>>
>> what I meant for simplified Chinese as being easy is because of this:
>>
>> - it is also only written horizontally
>> - no ruby characters (at least as I know)
>> - uses arabic digits (e.g. 2010年)
>
> Definitely not the last : I know of many instances
> of simplified Chinese that use pure Chinese number
> symbols (一二三四五六七八九十), and I have a hand-
> calligraphed scroll that uses simplified Chinese
> characters written vertically and from right to left.
> As far as Ruby goes, you may well be right : Ruby is
> certainly used in Taiwan, but of course TW still
> uses traditional characters so there is no counter-
> example there.

Well, either way it is not really that important. It would only be of
importance for the \today command and for maybe the chapter numbering,
but one can always just write it manually. In the text itself, there is
no difference what kind of digit you write. And arabic digits are never
wrong.

I think, basic Chinese and Korean support would be all right. I don’t
think that there is Ruby used in academic writings in Taiwan. Vertically
is one thing I would really like to have in Xetex, but well, I think it
would also be ok if we would make that stuff easily accessible, which is
easily implemented – which means correct line spacing and translated
strings like the table of contents etc.

Basic Japanese would maybe also be ok, but then we would absolutely have
to implement kinsoku shori, and maybe Ruby (they are really important).

Either way, I think, the line spacing would do a great deal for CJK
support in Xetex without much effort.

Gerrit