[XeTeX] Japanese, Chinese, Korean support for Polyglossia

Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Fri Jul 23 18:35:42 CEST 2010

Gerrit wrote:

> I think, Korean is really easy to implement. As far as I know, modern
> Korean typography is almost the same as western typography:
>
> - it has word spacing
> - uses an alphabet (ok, sometimes Chinese characters in between, but
> that is not really a problem) with no fancy effects unlike Japanese
> - uses Western punctuation (., etc.)
> - is only written horizontally
> - only uses arabic digits

> Simplified Chinese should also be quite easy. That is almost the same as
> Korean, with the exception that it does not have word spacing (which may
> have quite difficult effects on line breaking).

Not convinced about the last part, Gerrit : to the
best of my knowledge, there are examples of Simplified
Chinese that violate each of your axioms for Korean
(with the possible exception of the punctuation),
so I'm not really sure how you reached that conclusion.

** Phil.