[XeTeX] Japanese, Chinese, Korean support for Polyglossia

Michiel Kamermans pomax at nihongoresources.com
Fri Jul 23 17:55:28 CEST 2010

David,

> Ruby is already enabled (if you are using a font that supports it).
> See the fontspec package documentation.  Fontspec also allows you to
> select a number of other options relevant to CJK typesetting -- take a
> look. (It doesn't address all the issues you raise, though.)

The ruby opentype font feature is of almost zero practical value, as
virtually no font comes with it, and even if they did it would not
necessarily be an appropriate looking fontface (furigana and main text
in no way need to -or in many cases are even desired to- look the same)
one often wants a higher readbility font for furigana, or even a
sans-serif (Japanese "gothic") font fact instead. I know I personally
still rely on the custom ruby code found in this mailing list's archives
in the dicussion on ruby/furigana and Japanese typesetting simply
because it lets me stick in a font change for texts where the main
Japanese font is not suited to double as furigana font.

- Mike "Pomax" Kamermans
nihongoresources.com