[XeTeX] problems with some fonts

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Fri Jul 23 17:45:56 CEST 2010

Am 23.07.2010 um 11:21 schrieb Ernest Adrogué:

> This is what I get:
>
> $ fc-list : file family fullname | grep -i beteckna
> /usr/share/fonts/truetype/beteckna/
> BetecknaLowerCaseItalicCondensed.ttf:
> BetecknaLowerCase:fullname=BetecknaLowerCase
> /usr/share/fonts/truetype/beteckna/BetecknaLowerCaseItalic.ttf:
> BetecknaLowerCase:fullname=BetecknaLowerCase
> /usr/share/fonts/truetype/beteckna/BetecknaLowerCase.ttf:
> BetecknaLowerCase:fullname=BetecknaLowerCase
> /usr/share/fonts/truetype/beteckna/BetecknaLowerCaseBold.ttf:
> BetecknaLowerCase:fullname=BetecknaLowerCase
> /usr/share/fonts/truetype/beteckna/
> BetecknaLowerCaseBoldCondensed.ttf:
> BetecknaLowerCase:fullname=BetecknaLowerCase

Obviously the five different font files contain all the same font...
At least the full name does not distinguish between the possible
variants (which libfontconfig sees when it outputs the style
variants). You could change the font files to have better full names
(possible problem with font license), you could use anllther set of
fonts, or you could create your own font set in fontspec by telling it
the full path names and giving for each variant (regular, bold,
italic, bold italic) this path name accordingly, something like the
following with path names instead of font names:

	\newfontfamily\cjkfont[ItalicFont=HiraKakuPro-
W3,ItalicFeatures={RawFeature=+ital},BoldItalicFont=HiraKakuPro-
W6,BoldItalicFeatures={RawFeature=+ital},BoldFont={HiraMinPro-W6}]
{HiraMinPro-W3}

maybe without the RawFeature's which just select a particular feature
from kind of a "font collection" file.

>>> With the Fontin font, italics work well. However
>>> text in upright shape (in any weight) is typeset in
>>> small caps.
>>
>> How do you select this shape in your source? A complete minimal
>> example would be nice...
>
> I use this:
>
> [...]
>
> \textsc{Aa Ee Rr Bb}	\> \textsc{\itshape Aa Ee Rr Bb} \\
> \textsc{Gg Jj \& ?}		\> \textsc{\itshape Gg Jj \& ?}
> \end{tabbing}
> \end{document}
>
> I said all weights in upright shape are replaced with small
> caps, but I was wrong. It's only the medium weight.

You're requesting SmallCaps (sc does not stand for up right shape),
and you're getting them (when they exist)! You should be glad! Others
don't get what they want. NFSS2 has \textup, I think... (with XeTeX
you'll hardly get wrong MS small caps)

--
Greetings

   Pete

"By filing this bug report you have challenged the honor of my family.
Prepare to die!"