[XeTeX] problems with some fonts

Ernest Adrogué eadrogue at gmx.net
Fri Jul 23 11:21:22 CEST 2010

Hi,

23/07/10 @ 10:27 (+0200), thus spake Peter Dyballa:

> Am 23.07.2010 um 02:30 schrieb Ernest Adrogué:
>
> >I am experiencing some problems with certain fonts.
> >First, with a font called Beteckna. Bold face and
> >italics don't work (are replaced with medium weight
> >and upright shape). There are no error messages.
> >According to fontconfig bold and italics should be
> >available:
> >
> >$ fc-list |grep -i beteckna
>
> Could you use this command instead?
>
> 	fc-list : file family fullname | grep -i beteckna
>
> It will show also the fonts' family names. These are used by
> fontspec to group a set of individual fonts to a complete family of
> regular, italic, bold, and bold italic fonts.

This is what I get:

$ fc-list : file family fullname | grep -i beteckna
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/beteckna/BetecknaLowerCaseItalicCondensed.ttf: BetecknaLowerCase:fullname=BetecknaLowerCase
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/beteckna/BetecknaLowerCaseItalic.ttf: BetecknaLowerCase:fullname=BetecknaLowerCase
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/beteckna/BetecknaLowerCase.ttf: BetecknaLowerCase:fullname=BetecknaLowerCase
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/beteckna/BetecknaLowerCaseBold.ttf: BetecknaLowerCase:fullname=BetecknaLowerCase
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/beteckna/BetecknaLowerCaseBoldCondensed.ttf: BetecknaLowerCase:fullname=BetecknaLowerCase

> >With the Fontin font, italics work well. However
> >text in upright shape (in any weight) is typeset in
> >small caps.
>
> How do you select this shape in your source? A complete minimal
> example would be nice...

I use this:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{xunicode}
\usepackage{xltxtra}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\begin{document}
\setmainfont{Fontin}
\large
\begin{tabbing}
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx \= \kill

Aa Ee Rr Bb				\> {\itshape Aa Ee Rr Bb} \\
Gg Jj \& ?				\> {\itshape Gg Jj \& ?}  \\

\textbf{Aa Ee Rr Bb}	\> \textbf{\itshape Aa Ee Rr Bb} \\
\textbf{Gg Jj \& ?}		\> \textbf{\itshape Gg Jj \& ?}  \\

\textsc{Aa Ee Rr Bb}	\> \textsc{\itshape Aa Ee Rr Bb} \\
\textsc{Gg Jj \& ?}		\> \textsc{\itshape Gg Jj \& ?}
\end{tabbing}
\end{document}

I said all weights in upright shape are replaced with small
caps, but I was wrong. It's only the medium weight.

$ fc-list : file family fullname | grep -i fontin | grep -v Sans
/home/ernest/.fonts/Fontin-Italic.otf: Fontin:fullname=Fontin-Italic,Fontin Italic
/home/ernest/.fonts/Fontin-Bold.otf: Fontin:fullname=Fontin-Bold,Fontin Bold
/home/ernest/.fonts/Fontin-Regular.otf: Fontin:fullname=Fontin-Regular,Fontin Regular
/home/ernest/.fonts/Fontin-SmallCaps.otf: Fontin SmallCaps,Fontin:fullname=Fontin-SmallCaps,Fontin SmallCaps

Bye!

Ernest