[XeTeX] \ifincsname: unexpected behaviour after nested \csname...\endcsname

Grzegorz Murzynowski natror at o2.pl
Thu Jul 22 01:42:14 CEST 2010

Hi,

I find the new XeTeX primitives very very useful, especially \strcmp and
\ifincsname — thanks Jonathan!!!!!

I noted quite unexpectedly that nesting \csname…\endcsname, such as

\def\a{\ifincsname In csname \else Not in csname\fi}

\expandafter\string\csname
before nested csname:
\a
\expandafter\string\csname\space\endcsname
%                                             ^^^^ it's a nested csname
\space\space\space\space\space
after nested csname:
\a
\endcsname

results in turning |\ifincsname| false: the example above typesets

	\before nested csname: In csname \ after nested csname: Not in csname

Is it a bug or a feature? (I use nested csnames sometimes).
I use Ubuntu Lucid Lynx, TexLive 2009-7,
XeTeX Version 3.1415926-2.2-0.9995.2 (TeX Live 2009/Debian)

Best regards,
Grzegorz Murzynowski