[XeTeX] fontspec manual 10.17 (scripts/languages)

David Perry hospes.primus at verizon.net
Tue Jul 20 20:17:23 CEST 2010

François Charette wrote:

> Hmm... I realize that polyglossia implicitly assumes OT fonts only: I
> should add a warning when encountering AAT or Graphite fonts. The new
> fontspec has convenient macros to check for that I think.
I think a warning in the output panel when compiling and also one in the
manual would be a good idea.  In fact, the guy I am trying to help with
Sanskrit was going to try polyglossia; I'll tell him not to as long as
he uses that AAT font.

BTW: In the most recent polyglossia manual, Sanskrit should be in red in
the list of languages since it does have some options.

> I think (Will can correct me if I'm wrong) these are generic macros used
> internally. They are nevertheless accessible to the end-user, just in
> case some font (designed, say, for Klingon or, perhaps more seriously,
> for specialized ethnolinguistic uses) were to use language and/or script
> tags not defined in the current OpenType standard.
That makes sense, thanks.

> A sentence clarifiying this might be helpful though.
I agree.

David