[XeTeX] XeLaTex and Armenian

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Tue Jul 13 22:43:14 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 01:14:41PM -0700, Apostolos Syropoulos wrote:
> > No, all OpenType features are bound to a script/language, If you  have
> > and Arabic/English font, chances are odd that font designer  would  attach
> > f-ligatures or Latin kerning to Arabic script, so if you  set script  to
> > Arabic and type fi or AV you will neither get the ligature  nor  the
> > kerning.
>
> You are wrong:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/features_ko.htm#kern
>
> There it is clearly stated that there is no Script/language sensitivity.
>
> Also, please have a look at the following:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/features_ko.htm#liga
>
> In this case we have that "Script/language sensitivity: Applies to virtually all
> scripts".

Each OpenType feature has to be bound to a specific set of scripts/languages,
this has nothing to do with the "Script/language sensitivity" hint in the
pages you are pointing to.

Try:

\documentclass{minimal}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\begin{document}
{\fontspec[Script=Hebrew]{Linux Libertine O} fi fl ffi ffl AVAW}\par
{\fontspec[Script=Latin] {Linux Libertine O} fi fl ffi ffl AVAW}\par
\end{document}

Regards,
 Khaled

--