[XeTeX] [tex-live] TeXLive Pretest - XeTeX segfaults on LInux 64

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Jul 13 04:26:00 CEST 2010

On 12 July 2010 Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:

 > Le 12/07/2010 10:21, ulrik.vieth at arcor.de a écrit :
 > > I wouldn't assume that the problem is with dynamic linking per se.
 >
 > The crash has probably nothing to do with dynamic linking
 > indeed. Reinhard was replying to this paragraph:
 >
 > > Would it be a feasible idea to supply Linux32 binaries for XeTeX
 > > on Linux64 platforms? Would this work at all or would this
 > > require additional infrastructure (e.g. 32 bit versions of
 > > libraries)?
 >
 > so I think his answer is that it is *not* doable to ship 32 bit
 > XeTeX on LinUX64, since the user would need a 32-bit version of the
 > dynamically linked libraries.

Yes, this is exactly what I meant.  Furthermore, consider that TL
currently supports five 64-bit Unix platforms and that one of them,
'x86_64-linux', stands for zillions of Linux distributions.  Finding
out whether all required 32-bit libraries are availabe everywhere is
nearly impossible.  I'm not even aware of all Linux distributions.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25