[XeTeX] [OT] Free fonts for fontspec examples?

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 16:30:00 CEST 2010

On 2010-07-12 18:33:54 +0930, Alexey Kryukov
<anagnost at yandex.ru> said:

> On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 16:45:49 +0930
> Will Robertson wrote:
>
>> - Historical style (hist)
>
> You can try my Theano Old Style font
> (http://www.thessalonica.org.ru/en/theano.html), which has some
> historical forms implemented both for Greek and Latin.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

>  But please note
> that this feature is essentially deprecated: it is better for a font
> designer to use stylistic sets instead.

Why? If they are "historical forms" isn't it better to give them a
meaningful OpenType feature name?

>> 4.  I'm aware that I'm not fully covering the OpenType feature list
>> in fontspec. Has anyone noticed obvious areas that should be
>> included?
>
> Am I right fontspec still doesn't support stylistic sets
> (ss00--ss20), except via RawFeature?

This has always been available under the "Variant=0/1/2/3/..." feature
but this name wasn't very obvious. In more recent versions of fontspec
you can use "StylisticSet=0/1/2...".

Please ask if it looks like I've missed adding a feature in fontspec;
chances are I need to add code or documentation or both to the package.

Will