[XeTeX] Eadui font (and contextual alternates)

David Perry hospes.primus at verizon.net
Sun Jul 11 23:32:38 CEST 2010

Thanks to Peter for creating and releasing this font.  Eadui is an
amazing piece of work.  If you have a serious interest in what can be
done with OT features, you should at least look at the PDF documentation
if you didn't do so before.  And thanks to XeTeX (along with fontspec)
for giving Windows and Linux users access to advanced typography; that's
why I decided to learn Xe(La)TeX.

I used Eadui to set a sample text in the book I'm currently finishing.
One issue came up during that process: the contextual alternates (calt)
feature should be on by default, according to the OpenType spec; but it
isn't in XeTeX.  Why not?  Can/Should that be changed?

David