[XeTeX] combining characters in isolation

Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sun Jul 11 16:51:08 CEST 2010

David Perry wrote:

> If a font is truly Unicode-compliant, then it should contain the
> characters I used to test (or the ones you need).

I'm not convinced this statement is true : it is my belief
that a font can be "truly Unicode-compliant", yet still
contain only a small fraction of the full set of glyphs
in the Unicode standard.  Lucida Sans Unicode certainly
doesn't contain the glyphs you referenced, but after an
enormous battle with Microsoft Office I was able to prove
that they do indeed exist in Arial Unicode MS.

Philip Taylor