[XeTeX] combining characters in isolation

Mike Maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Sun Jul 11 15:55:34 CEST 2010

David Perry wrote:
> But: since you posted this to the XeTeX list, I'll assume that's what
>  you're using

yes

> (so my comments about Uniscribe won't apply since XeTeX
>  uses the ICU renderer).  I just did a quick test with a file
> processed with XeLaTeX on Windows, and the following lines worked
> (with no dotted circles):
>
> {\fontspec{Arial Unicode MS} \char"09C2  xx \char"09C4}
>
> {\fontspec{Arial Unicode MS} \char"00A0\char"09C2  xx
> \char"00A0\char"09C4}

Apparently this is font-specific, because that doesn't work with the
"Bangla" font we're using.  Apparently the font doesn't have that
character, nor does the Lohit Bengail or Rupali font--I get rectangular
boxes.  Unfortunately, we don't have Arial Unicode on our Linux machine.

Sigh...
--
    Mike Maxwell
    What good is a universe without somebody around to look at it?