[XeTeX] xetex-microtype font config files

Stephan Hugel urschrei at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 22:17:12 CEST 2010

On 8 July 2010 10:32, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa at web.de> wrote:

> Am 08.07.2010 um 00:48 schrieb Stephan Hugel:
>
>> Where can I obtain information about preparing config files for other
>> fonts?
>

> Did you read the microtype documentation? (Just 200 pages.)

Peter,
I perused the manual, and found it to be most informative, yet sadly
lacking when it came to explaining the format for font config
filenames for use with xetex-microtype (luckily I was able to guess,
using the Charis SIL config file's name. Nevertheless, I would rather
not subject myself to the perils of inductive reasoning, and I do not
have the benefit of psychic powers, as displayed by a certain
cephalopod).

The manual also fails to explain how I should be titling the families
in an xetex-microtype font config file (as an example: in the standard
microtype font config files (Cf. mt-pad.cfg), ‘pad’ (l. 47) refers to
the ‘Adobe Garamond’ font. Thus, the name can be substituted, as
xetex-microtype seems to recognise fontspec-compatible font names.
However, it's not clear what should be substituted for ‘padx’ and
‘padj’ (l.49), if anything. Simply inserting ‘Adobe Garamond’ on this
line (and for subsequent occurrences) does not result in a stop error,
but it's probably not completely correct either.

Alas, while I have no doubt that your advice was offered in good
faith, I cannot help but note that I have failed to make much headway
by taking it. A crying shame, I'm sure you'll agree. Nevertheless,
there is hope: my adapted mt-pad.cfg (now mt-GaramondPremrPro.cfg)
file produced encouraging results w/r/t protrusion when used with the
Garamond Premier Pro font; to my eye, certainly superior to the file
produced without the xetex-microtype package.

Love, light, and peace.
> --
> Mit friedvollen Grüßen
>
>  Pete
>
> Es macht schon Spaß, Leute zu hassen: Nie gehen die Ideen aus!

steph