[XeTeX] Finding out if a font supports a particular Unicode character and using it

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Sun Jan 31 13:48:48 CET 2010

Hi,

Khaled Hosny wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 10:25:29AM -0800, Michiel Kamermans wrote:
>> On 1/30/2010 10:08 AM, Peter Baker wrote:
>>> I should have mentioned, I've been assuming that it's simply
>>> impossible to run this on Windows, since it requires FontForge,
>>> which is *nix down to the toes. It should "just work" on Cygwin,
>>> but Cygwin users will find that the standard FontForge install has
>>> no Python support at all; so they must either build from source or
>>> just forget it.
>> There's an unofficial mingw compiled version of font forge for
>> windows users (linked to on the font forge page for windows
>> installs), although I don't know if that has python support in it or
>> not.
>
> No, it doesn't.

A few weeks ago I started a supelec project that compiles fontforge
under mingw32. Without any UI but with a python interpreter (2.6).
This was by request from the TeXGyre development team.

The project is here: http://foundry.supelec.fr/gf/project/fflib-mingw

There are no binaries released yet but if there is interest, I can
email the current state of the binary (mostly untested at this point),
just drop me a message.

Best wishes,
Taco