[XeTeX] Finding out if a font supports a particular Unicode character and using it

Chris Jones cjns1989 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 00:47:15 CET 2010

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 09:29:09AM EST, Peter Baker wrote:
> Peter Baker wrote:
>>
>> I hope it's useful to someone!

Priceless where I'm concerned..!

I do have a couple of issues to report:

1. some directories take for ever to scan - typical example is the
   msttcorefonts package on debian-based distributions.

2. I tend to like the one-size-fits-all GNU/unifont for my foreign
   script's needs and pointing your script to it displays the usual
   "Searching . . .' message and then takes something like fifteen
   minutes before it returns an error message: "

/tmp/fontswith unifont.ttf
Error while trying to check fonts: sorry!

Since this is the generic message, I have not  been able make any wild
guesses as to what is happening.

In the event you wish to investigate, this all-emcompassing font can be
downloaded at:

   http://www.lgm.cl/contenido/unifont.ttf.gz

CJ