[XeTeX] LaTeX Error: File polyglossia.sty not found

Manuel Souto Pico m.soutopico at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 23:44:19 CET 2010

Thank you, Michael

I understand better now.

 However, let me please ask this. What is the best way to update? I
>> understand that the latest MacTex.mpkg.zip will allow me to install
>> MacTex-2009 but that won't uninstall my current version. So it's like
>> different programs, right?
>>

> I think MacTeX will install a separate branch on the tree, something like:
>
> /usr/local/texlive/2009/ETC.ETC.
>
> so it will find what it needs and (I think) ignore older installations
> (maybe you have teTeX?).

The truth is that I'm confused with so many names: texlive, teTeX, MacTeX,
gwtex... but judging by what I'm reading in related websites, I must have
tetex. Wow, so many new things, I've got really out of date! :) I do have

kettle:/usr/local/teTeX/share souto$ ls -l
total 0
drwxr-xr-x    4 root  wheel  136 Nov 10  2006 lcdf-typetools
drwxr-xr-x   14 root  wheel  476 Nov 10  2006 texi2html
drwxr-xr-x    6 root  wheel  204 Nov 10  2006 texinfo
drwxr-xr-x   10 root  wheel  340 Jul 15  2007 texmf
drwxr-xr-x    3 root  wheel  102 Nov 10  2006 texmf-var
drwxr-xr-x   21 root  wheel  714 Jul 15  2007 texmf.gwtex
drwxrwxrwx   19 root  wheel  646 Jul 15  2007 texmf.local
drwxr-xr-x   22 root  wheel  748 Jul 15  2007 texmf.tetex

I've just seen teTex is not developed any more and I've sort of grasped that
texlive is (not a live distribution runnable from a cd but :) the name for
the standard distribution nowadays and that MacTeX is just the package that
installs it (as well as other things?) on the Mac.

> Then, it will probably be safe to dump all the old stuff --- unless you
> have custom files in some texmf-local folders.
>
> I think I've put all the packages I downloaded manually in
~/Library/texmf/tex/latex but I might have put something in the texmf.local
as well (like bibtex, arabi, etc.). I guess what I can do after installing
MacTex2009 is rename or move somewhere else the teTeX folder (from the path
above) and see whether everything works fine after that. If I find later on
that one of my documents doesn't compile well, I guess I can always re-copy
or download the missing packages myself...

Unless that by "custome files" you were referring to my .tex documents...
Those are somewhere else.

The contents of my texmf.local are:

kettle:/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local souto$ ls -l
total 9976
drwxr-xr-x    4 souto  wheel      136 Jan 22  2007 arabi
-rw-r--r--    1 souto  wheel  4994659 Jan 22  2007 arabi.tar.gz
drwxr-xr-x    3 root   wheel      102 Nov 10  2006 bibtex
drwxr-xr-x    5 root   wheel      170 Nov 10  2006 context
drwxrwxr-x   12 souto  wheel      408 Dec 16  2006 doc
drwxrwxr-x    7 souto  wheel      238 Jan 22  2007 dvips
drwxrwxr-x   15 souto  wheel      510 Dec 16  2006 fonts
drwxrwxr-x    3 souto  wheel      102 Dec 16  2006 latex
-rw-r--r--    1 root   wheel   109682 Jul 15  2007 ls-R
drwxr-xr-x    3 root   wheel      102 Nov 10  2006 metapost
drwxr-xr-x    4 root   wheel      136 Nov 10  2006 scripts
drwxr-xr-x    5 root   wheel      170 Nov 10  2006 source
drwxrwxrwx   10 root   wheel      340 Oct 26  1999 tex
drwxr-xr-x    4 root   wheel      136 Nov  9  2006 tex4ht
drwxr-xr-x    6 root   wheel      204 Nov 10  2006 tpm
drwxr-xr-x   53 root   wheel     1802 Mar 14  2007 web2c

>   There's no update command that I can just run, I
>> guess.
>>

> Actually, TeXlive manager does just that ...

Good improvement.

but you have to update first. And, if I'm not mistaken, OS 10.4 doesn't run
> the updates. You'll need 10.5.

Yes, I have to do that, but I need to free some disk space first... :(

>  By the way, what is Web2C?
>>

>  From the Web2C doc (web2c.pdf), Karl Berry and Olaf Weber state:
>
>  Web2c is the name of a TEX implementation, originally for Unix, but now
>> also running
>> under DOS, Amiga, and other operating systems. By TEX implementation, we
>> mean all
>> of the standard programs developed by the Stanford TEX pro ject directed
>> by Donald E.
>> Knuth: Metafont, DVItype, GFtoDVI, BibTEX, Tangle, etc., as well as TEX
>> itself. Other
>> programs are also included: DVIcopy, written by Peter Breitenlohner,
>> MetaPost and its
>> utilities (derived from Metafont), by John Hobby, etc.
>> General strategy: Web2c works, as its name implies, by translating the WEB
>> source in
>> which TEX is written into C source code. Its output is not self-contained,
>> however; it makes
>> extensive use of many macros and functions in a library (the ‘web2c/lib’
>> directory in the
>> sources). Therefore, it will not work without change on an arbitrary WEB
>> program. <etc>.
>>

> Had never heard of this (or can't remember).

Another thing, if I may, but out of curiosity (not vital to solve my
problem): web2c is a tex implementation and texlive, gwtex or tetex are tex
distributions, but are "implementation" and "distribution" the same thing in
the context of tex??

Once again, thanks for your help!
Manuel