[XeTeX] Finding out if a font supports a particular Unicode character and using it

Peter Baker psb6m at virginia.edu
Sat Jan 30 19:08:28 CET 2010

Michiel Kamermans wrote:

> Be careful though: os.uname() is a *nix only function, so it's
> probably a good idea to try/except AttributeError for when this is run
> on windows, and falling back to os.environ['OS'] instead for the
> operating system check.

I should have mentioned, I've been assuming that it's simply impossible
to run this on Windows, since it requires FontForge, which is *nix down
to the toes. It should "just work" on Cygwin, but Cygwin users will find
that the standard FontForge install has no Python support at all; so
they must either build from source or just forget it.

I'm afraid it's just Mac and Linux.

Peter