[XeTeX] Finding out if a font supports a particular Unicode character and using it

Fr. Michael Gilmary FrMichaelGilmary at MaroniteMonks.org
Sat Jan 30 01:24:36 CET 2010

Peter Baker wrote:

> Let me check. I'm running Python 2.6.4; maybe I'm using something that
> appeared after 2.5. I'll check it out and rewrite it to run on 2.5 if
> I can.

Hi Peter:

I've got several (!) versions of python ... depending on which one I
use, I get a different error. In two cases, I use:

> $ fontswith ~/Library/Fonts/ U+2605

With version 3.1 it complains:

>  File "/Users/frmichael/bin/fontswith", line 21
>     print "Could not open ", font_name
>                           ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax

But if I use version 2.3.5, it tells me:

--
United in adoration of Jesus,

fr. michael gilmary, mma

Most Holy Trinity Monastery