[XeTeX] Finding out if a font supports a particular Unicode character and using it

Mike Maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Fri Jan 29 14:35:21 CET 2010

R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar wrote:
> I stumbled upon this website from a Google search and it seems to list
> font support for a block as a percentage:
>
> http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/block/miscellaneous_symbols/fontsupport.htm

I wonder how accurate it is, though.  For the Arabic block
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/block/arabic/fontsupport.htm
it lists SIL's Scheherazade font as supporting 94% of the Unicode Arabic
block.  I believe that in fact Scheherazade covers the whole thing, at
least that's what I read here:
   http://scripts.sil.org/ArabicFonts
The page also doesn't list SIL's Lateef, which I think has similar
coverage to Scheherazade.

But maybe the issue is what would count as 100%; it claims 250 code
points in the Arabic block.  There are 256 code points in all (0600
thorugh 06FF), but in Unicode 5.0, 21 of them are empty, meaning there
are in fact only 235 code points that need coverage.  Given that figure,
Scheherazade's coverage would go up to 100%.

Also, the "Unicode BMP Fallback Font" it lists as having 100% coverage
is actually a debugging font that doesn't cover *any* characters in the
sense of providing their normal glyphs.  Rather, it gives a square
containing the Unicode code point.

I would certainly like to find an accurate web page with this kind of
information (or failing that, for font providers to give the true code
point coverage; few do).
--
    Mike Maxwell
    What good is a universe without somebody around to look at it?