[XeTeX] Page is "stuck" in A4 type

Vladimir Lomov lomov.vl at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 11:34:20 CET 2010

** Paul Isambert [2010-01-27 10:49:14 +0100]:

> TeX distributions have a default paper size, which might be A4.
> This doesn't explain why \documentclass[lettersize]{article} doesn't
> work, but it explains at least (I hope) why Maxim's second example still
> yields an A4 page.
If I understand this correctly the 'letterpaper' option sets two special
macros which are not passed to xelatex (or pdflatex) engine (in sense they
don't know what this macros should do). The information about paper size
is inserted into document in apropriate form by geometry
package (with the help of \special command).

> Michiel Kamermans a écrit :
>> Interesting. A test with xelatex for
>> \documentclass[letterpaper]{article} also yields a PDF with A4 page
>> dimensions... the geometry package, however, correctly sets page
>> dimensions for letter:

>> \documentclass[10pt]{article}
>> \usepackage[paper=letterpaper]{geometry}
I post another example but with wrong option :(

--
default, n.:
	[Possibly from Black English "De fault wid dis system is you,