[XeTeX] Getting completely the wrong glyphs when using characters from Latin Extended B

Michiel Kamermans pomax at nihongoresources.com
Mon Jan 18 20:34:48 CET 2010

Philip,
> In an earlier thread (see below), Joanthan Kew said that string quotes
> were necessary if one was trying
> to reference a TTF/OTF/Type-1 font rather than a TFM-based (TeX)
> font.  How, then, does \setmainfont
> know whether I want a TTF/OTF/Type-1 font rather than a TFM-based
> (TeX) font if I am not permitted to use quotation marks to indicate
> that I want the former ?
The short answer is that \setmainfont is a fontspec command, and
fontspec "knows what you want".

Jonathan's comments were regarding using the plain (Xe)TeX \font
command. For the \font command, quotation marks are tremendously
important. For fontspec, which adds the quotes for you when implicitly
calling \font, adding quotes of your own will have detrimental effects:
like Khaled says, it'll end up calling \font\somebinding=""font name""
(note the double double quotes =)

So it depends on what you want to interface with. Plain TeX: use quotes.
Fontspec: no quotes (I try to stay away from \font as much as possible,
since fontspec takes care of these matters).

- Mike