[XeTeX] Fwd: Re: [texhax] Defining a new font in Plain Tex

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Wed Jan 13 19:46:45 CET 2010

Peter Dyballa wrote:

[...]

OK, all understood, although it is not /entirely/ clear
to me whether XeTeX can make use of all OS-supported fonts
in an identical manner.

> A more sane request would be that for a /TeX or /OS switch...

Well, I don't think I was suggesting otherwise.  My sole
point (which was not intended to be provocative) is that
the use of quotation marks to denote an OS-supported font
is not exactly intuitive (most of us would expect quotation
marks to be used to -- for example -- protect a filename
contain embedded spaces), and therefore /if/ XeTeX is
completely agnostic as to the exact format of an OS-supported
font, I would just as happy with your proposal of /TeX v.
/OS as with my own (tacit) <nothing> v. /Type-1 / TTF / OTF / W-H-Y.

** Phil.