[XeTeX] Fwd: Re: [texhax] Defining a new font in Plain Tex

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Wed Jan 13 18:08:09 CET 2010

Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 13.01.2010 um 09:28 schrieb Philip TAYLOR:
>
>> My suggestion would be something like :
>>
>> \font \defaultfont = Optima/Type-1 at 20pt
>>
>> Is this still within the bounds of possibility, or are
>> all such details already frozen ?
>
> A short remark: there aren't so many font management systems which can
> do this... (and it's them which deliver the requested font to the
> "user," to XeTeX for example)

Not sure what is meant here, Peter.  It is (presumably)
XeTeX itself that differentiates between "Optima"
(quoted) and Optima (unquoted), using the former to
initiate a search for a non-TeX font whilst using the
latter to initiate a search for a TeX font.  In what
way does the underlying font management system come
into play in making (or executing) this decision ?

** Phil.