[XeTeX] Font Development

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Fri Jan 8 17:03:09 CET 2010

On Fri, Jan 08, 2010 at 06:55:09AM +1100, Vafa Khalighi wrote:
> Is not there any program like metafont for making opentype fonts? I honestly
> can not work with WYSIWYG.

You can use MetaFont to code your font, then process the file with
MetaPost to get outline glyphs instead of bitmaps, then use FontForge to
assemble it into an otf font. You can use adobe feature files to code
OpenType layout features, which FontForge supports as well.

It can be fairly automated and glued together with some python code.

PS. FontForge supports RoboFob's pen protocol witch can be used to draw
glyphs, but I think it is very primitive.

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny