[XeTeX] Font Development

Adam Twardoch (List) list.adam at twardoch.com
Thu Jan 7 20:09:49 CET 2010

Vafa,

the primary tool used to add "smart" OpenType Layout features to fonts
for complex scripts such as Persian Arabic would be Microsoft VOLT.
There is a board dedicated to Microsoft VOLT on
http://forum.fontlab.com/microsoft-visual-opentype-layout-tool-volt-b24.0/
which I recommend you to join.

Type designers use various tools to draw the typeface, FontLab Studio
being certainly most popular. The opensource FontForge application also
has a group of users.

Best,
Adam