[XeTeX] Using Xetex on GNU/linux.

Chris Jones cjns1989 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 15:36:44 CET 2010

On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 08:26:27AM EST, Jonathan Kew wrote:
> On 7 Jan 2010, at 13:10, Chris Jones wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 11:36:22PM EST, Andrew Moschou wrote:

[..]

> > I then tried a Spanish sample, and likewise, 'computación' lost its
> > accented 'ó' and became 'computacin', etc.

> It sounds like you didn't select a font that supports those
> characters. The default LaTeX fonts (Computer Modern) don't have them.
> In traditional LaTeX, with inputenc and fontenc, they're constructed
> using \accent commands, etc., but if you want to use xetex's native
> Unicode support, you should forget about those and instead select a
> font that has the Unicode characters you're using.

> The best way to do this is generally using the fontspec package; see
> its documentation for more information. Actually, even just loading
> fontspec, with no additional options, may be enough to make those
> characters reappear, as I believe it will change the default from
> Computer Modern to Latin Modern, which looks the same but has a much
> richer character set.

> (BTW, if you have \tracinglostchars=1, there should be warnings in
> your .log file telling you about characters that are not available in
> the current font.)

Absolutely, I found only saw the .log file after posting.

As recommended, I added the following to my sample documents' preamble:

| \usepackage{fontspec}
| \setmainfont{Times New Roman}
| \setmonofont{unifont}

And I got all my accented letters back.

Is there any place, like a global configuration file perhaps, where I
could add these statements, so that I don't have to add them to each
'legacy' document?

Thanks,

CJ