[XeTeX] Default settings when making PDF?

David J. Perry hospes.primus at verizon.net
Thu Jan 7 10:11:05 CET 2010

I will be creating a PDF to send to a printer and I want to be sure that I
get the highest quality possible.  When using tools other than XeTeX, I
would print to a postscript file and then process the file with Acrobat
Distiller, which allows one to set various options to control file quality
(and size).

For this project, I'm using XeTeX (with MiKTeX 2.7).  What defaults does
XeTeX use when the xdvipdf driver makes the PDF?  Is there any way to
control file quality?  If the driver automatically makes the best PDF, that
would be great.  (I could, if necessary, open the file in Acrobat Pro and
increase compression/reduce file size, but there's no way to get higher
quality than what is originally created.)

Thanks - David