[XeTeX] Xenotype font and Syriac scripting

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Mon Jan 4 18:51:20 CET 2010

On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 12:28:19PM -0500, Fr. Michael Gilmary wrote:
> Khaled Hosny wrote:
>

> >I don't think this is related to the error you are getting, what happens
> >if you set "RawFeature={+init,+medi,fina}" without setting Script?
>

> Thanks, Khaled, Gareth and Michiel --- none of the suggestions made
> a difference, except that removing the Script=Syriac stopped the
> warning.
>
> At the terminal, I can get this:
>
> otfinfo -t XenoTypeSYDarmasuq.ttf
>
>    146 GPOS
>    439 LTSH
>     96 OS/2
>   1504 VDMX
>    754 cmap
>   2326 cvt
>     28 feat
>    391 fpgm
>     16 gasp
>  92636 glyf
>   7048 hdmx
>     54 head
>     36 hhea
>   1740 hmtx
>    114 kern
>    872 loca
>     32 maxp
>  22840 morx
>   1663 name
>   6507 post
>    121 prep
>    200 prop

Well this sounds like a bizarre font to me, mixed incomplete OpenTypr
(GPOS but no GSUB so substitutions won't work), and AAT (morx, prop,
kern?), my guess it that XeTeX is chosing OpenType over AAT but as the
former is incomplete, the rendering is broken, but then shouldn't
Renderer=AAT force it? Without having the actual fonts, I can only
guess.

Regards,
 Khaled

--