[XeTeX] XeTeX and microtype-package…

Michael Lynch michael.s.lynch at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 2 13:39:31 CET 2010

Dear Jess,

OpenType fonts (and possibly AAT fonts too) allow the inclusion of
different features. One of these is an optical bounds table which can be
included as part of OpenType fonts by the developer (see
http://www.microsoft.com/OpenType/otspec/features_ko.htm#opbd), which
would describe for individual glyphs how far they should protrude to
achieve proper optical margins. Currently, I believe very few fonts
(possibly none!) support this feature. Certainly, none of the fonts I
have seem to have these tables.

The second half of the problem is that the layout engine needs to
support this feature. XeTeX does not currently allow for this, and as I
understand, there is no simple way to port the code used in pdfTeX due
to the different internals of XeTeX. I've seen mention that LuaTeX will
support this feature and the micro-typographic features currently
available in pdfTeX, but I'm not sure what it'll do when fonts don't
contain the required features.

(At the moment, pdfTeX with the microtype package is in the advantageous
position that typically, a relatively small set of fonts are used. It
comes with settings for a basic set of fonts (see
http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/microtype/microtype.pdf,
page 21), and if other fonts are used, I think generic values are used
instead. I don't think this would be a reasonable option for XeTeX given
the variety of fonts often used.
The only other program that I know of that supports optical margins is
Adobe InDesign (excepting the hz-program, which I don't think is widely
available). Looking at it, it clearly implements them somehow, but since
the tables don't exist in fonts I don't know what it does. By way of
pure speculation, it may also use generic values or possibly try to
calculate its own values for the optical bounds from the glyphs
themselves. I don't even know if it uses the correct values if the font
happens to provide them, but I guess that at least could be tested
relatively easily.)

I'm afraid none of this is very much help for you. Unfortunately the
feature you want is not currently supported by XeTeX, and even if it was
added to tomorrow, most fonts don't support it anyway. Sorry for the
rather long response but I hope this clears it up at least.

Regards,

Mike

(If you have the expertise to add it, from previous responses on the
list, I think you'd make a lot of people happy! We'd also need some sort
of mechanism to specify a mechanism where these values could be
specified separately. This would rather complicate the situation, but
given that not all fonts' licenses allow modifications to be made, I
think it's the only reasonable way to make it work. Even if these
modifications were allowed, it would make documents dramatically less
portable, as they would depend on locally modified fonts with the added
opbd tables, rather than just specifying extra settings which made it
clear that these were additional features.)