[XeTeX] Getting vinculum in fractions with Asana Math and unicode-math when compiled with xelatex

R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar chyavana at gmail.com
Sat Dec 25 17:36:02 CET 2010

On Saturday 25 December 2010 03:27 PM, Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd)
wrote:
> OK, then I suspect that Khaled and Ross have already
> identified the root cause of the problem (see below);
> what happens if you (a) comment out the reference to
> Asana Math,

The result when \usepackage{Asana Math} is commented out is shown in
non-asana-crop.pdf which is attached. The vinculum is present, but π is
missing.

When I replaced

\usepackage{Asana Math}

with another otf maths font via

\usepackage{XITS Math}

the result was the same as with Asana Math. So, it is not otf
maths-font-specific.

> and (b) (a separate test) replace it
> by a reference to a maths font that you have in
> a format other than OpenType ?

In this case, I need to load the euler maths font before fontspec to
avoid a warning. With this file:

\documentclass[a4paper,12pt]{article}
\usepackage{euler}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{unicode-math}
\begin{document}
\thispagestyle{empty}
$\frac{2\pi r}{r} = 2\pi$
\end{document}

I get the output shown in euler-frac-crop.pdf which is also attached.
Again, the vinculum is present, but π is missing.

If I comment out \usepackage{unicode-math} above, I get the correct
output as shown in euler-correct-crop.pdf.

My guess is that, as suggested by James Cloos, the problem resides in
the unicode-math package for 64-bit machines when compiled with xelatex.

Chandra