[XeTeX] Auto Font and Language Package in XeTeX

Venkatesan. S.K. (TNQ) skvenkat at tnq.co.in
Tue Dec 21 12:45:13 CET 2010

Hi,

I managed to download ucharclasses.zip from CTAN.
I will definitely try to use it for my MuLTiFlow project:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/multiflow/develop
Thanks Michiel Kamermans!!

Lua has another way I suppose, I like that cute little language!!
Thanks Khaled Hosny!!

I agree with Khaled Hosny that font switching and text directionality are
two different issues.
The difficult question is whether UTF-8 editors should switch direction by
sensing the UTF-8 characters?
I have had unpleasant surprises both with Tamil (left to right and complex
ligatures) and Arabic (right to left) in "gedit".
(There must be a way to switch this off I suppose)
XeTeX allows you to switch on/off the language specific scripts, which is
nice.
I suppose there are other views on this from WYSIWYG people.
Browsers sense the characters and switches them,  and I think it is
hard-wired based on the UTF-8 character values and does not pick it up from
the font.
I suppose these are early days for unicode, especially for Indic, Hebrew and
Arabic.

Suki