[XeTeX] Fontspec mappings causing errors in ToC/chapter-headings in memoir class documents

Shrisha Rao shrao at nyx.net
Tue Dec 21 03:33:16 CET 2010

El dic 20, 2010, a las 9:26 p.m., A u escribió:

> thats about the best I can tell. People reading Sanskrit in Roman script is the main source of mispronunciation.

Even if we condemn use of the Roman script for the sake of argument (which itself is a serious stretch, IMHO), there is plenty of mispronunciation by people who read and write Devanagari and Kannada also -- for instance, a Devanagari reader (whose native language may be Hindi) is likely to take out the final ह्रस्व vowel at the end of the word, so that राम is mispronounced as राम् as with Hindi words.  A Kannada reader is likely to insert a दीर्घ vowel in place of the ह्रस्व in many cases; in fact because such reading of final ह्रस्व as दीर्घ is common, many words that actually need a final दीर्घ are incorrectly spelled without it, e.g., ತಾರಾ (तारा) is written as ತಾರ (तार) instead.

> anyway it's individuals choice.

In a sense, it is not just an individual choice to present Sanskrit in scripts other than Devanagari -- the quantity of Sanskrit published in other scripts (either historically or just in the present day) is not small.

> Thats why गङ्गे is read as Ganges (गन्जिस)

Such distortions occur with other scripts also.  I don't think IAST in particular is any worse for this than any other system.

> Good luck

Thanks.

Regards,

Shrisha Rao