[XeTeX] Footnote refs

Fr. Michael Gilmary FrMichaelGilmary at MaroniteMonks.org
Sun Dec 19 16:17:36 CET 2010

Well, things are getting curiouser and curiouser!

After looking closely at the use of footnote superscript reference
numbers from previous TL installations, there's a difference. The legacy
fonts for (La)TeX didn't have a superiors table or superior glyphs.
Thus, the simple use of \textsuperscript to achieve the result, which
AFAICT simply scale and raise the number glyphs.

But it looks different than the results I got before with XeLaTeX and
Garamond Premier Pro (or you can use Minion Pro or Junicode or Linux
Libertine, etc., which have the sups table). So, here's my solution to
get the desired result:

\setmainfont[Numbers={OldStyle,Proportional}]{Minion Pro}

\newfontfamily\fnmarkfont{Minion Pro} % results in regular numbers used
as superscripts
%\newfontfamily\fnmarkfont[VerticalPosition=Superior]{Minion Pro} % uses
superior tables' glyphs for superscripts

\makeatletter
\renewcommand{\@makefnmark}{\mbox{%
\textsuperscript{\fnmarkfont\@thefnmark}}} % regular nums as superscripts
%\fnmarkfont\@thefnmark}} % real superscripts

\renewcommand\@makefntext[1]{%
\setlength\parindent{1em}%
\noindent
\makebox[1.8em][r]{\textsuperscript{\fnmarkfont\@thefnmark}}{#1}} %
regular nums as superscripts
%\makebox[1.8em][r]{\fnmarkfont\@thefnmark}{#1}} % real superscripts

\makeatother

You can comment/uncomment things to see the difference. It's much more
pleasing, to /my/ eye at least, to use the real superscripts. See
attached image to compare.

So, I'm back to the question that maybe only Jonathan can answer:

Has XeTeX changed in its default use of the superscript tables for
footnotes? It must be something like the change for using contextual
alternates by default.

--
United in adoration of Jesus,

fr. michael gilmary, mma