[XeTeX] Ellipsis

Michiel Kamermans pomax at nihongoresources.com
Fri Dec 17 11:38:59 CET 2010

The PDF specification (which is now the ISO 32000 specification for
portable documents) does allow for different on-screen and "when
searched/copy-pasted" text, if you need this functionality (known as
"replacement text", §14.9.4). It sounds like what you actually want is
for the PDF reader to copy the text that is actually in the document, in
which case Adobe's products behave correctly, and Evince does not. You
can try to see what:

\usepackage{accsup}
\newcommand{\rellipse}{\BeginAccSupp{method=pdfstringdef,ActualText={…}}…\EndAccSupp{}}

does for you in Evince --  although last time I checked it didn't have a
clue about how to deal with that feature, so it'll likely still violate
the spec and copy whatever the authors decided to do instead =)

My recommendation: file a spec violation bug with the Evince team (sure,
it's a 756 page document, but you're still supposed to either stick with
it or not implement certain features, rather than inventing a new way to
deal with something)

- Mike "Pomax" Kamermans
nihongoresources.com