[XeTeX] Unicode Arabic hyperlinks

Heiko Oberdiek heiko.oberdiek at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 14 14:57:41 CET 2010

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 01:03:23PM +0000, Juan Acevedo wrote:

> > Can someone rewrite the example using fonts that are
> > available on TeX Live 2010, please?

> For our current case, it may be easier to use whatever Arabic font is your
> system's default, but actually, since I have not used Arabic text in my
> sample, you can run it with any Roman font, as below, and you will only
> need to ignore the warning about Arabic script not being there. The
> problem persists, i.e., the hyperlinks don't work, and for that your help
> is most appreciated.

> --------------
> %!TEX TS-program = xelatex
> %!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
> \documentclass{book}
> \usepackage[xetex,unicode=true]{hyperref}
> \usepackage{fontspec,xltxtra,xunicode}
> \usepackage{polyglossia}
> 	\setdefaultlanguage{arabic}
>  	\newfontfamily\arabicfont[Script=Arabic,ExternalLocation]{texgyrepagella-regular}
> \begin{document}
> \tableofcontents
> \part{mypart} \chapter{linkhere}\chapter{ajksfhak;j}
> \section{naskdgfklh}\section{2naskdgfklh}
> \end{document}

Many thanks, very helpful. And thanks to Michiel for only using fontspec.

Analysis: polyglossia/arabic redefines \@arabic. For destination names
the original version is the better choice, because it is expandable
and generates ASCII digits.
  Thus I have fixed hyperref in this sense (2010/12/14 v6.81x).
Update is on its way (see README).

Yours sincerely
  Heiko Oberdiek